Pitter patter, let’s get atter. No big ads or silly stories, just the food!
- Bell Pepper
- 1 block Tofu
- 1tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- .5c Masa Harina
- 1 roma or larger tomato
- tbsp fresh Cilantro
- 1-2 Avocado
- 1 Lime
- 1tbsp vegan butter
- Oil to cook with.
- First things first, get that tofu pressing and get a pot of about 2 inches of water to a boil
- Plantain: How to peel a plantain. Peel and cut into half inch slices. Drop the slices into the boiling water for 5 minutes or until they’re softened (we’re going to mash them).
- Slice the bell pepper and 3/4th onion and cook in a skillet for 5 minutes. Crumble the tofu on top, sprinkle on the yeast, mix up and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the skillet.
- Now we make the arepas! In a large bowl, mash the plantains and masa harina together with .5c water (may need more) and form a dough. You can probably make 4-6 arepas, roughly the size of an english muffin. Typically these are made as sandwiches but I find it easier to make them open face. You’ll want to add a bit of oil to a skillet and cook these for a few minutes each side to get them golden brown.
- Make the guac by mashing up the avocado(s), slice the tomato up into small pieces and mix that in, cut the lime in half and add as much juice as you’d like. Dice the rest of the onion and add those small pieces in. Add a bit of salt and you have some guacamole!
- Not so bad! If you made thin arepas, place them on their plates with a bit of butter on top. If you made thicker ones you can cut them in half like you would an english muffin. Add on the tofu mixture, the guac, any salsa or sour creme you’d like and you’re good to go!